Wednesday 11 September 2013

Chicago (2002)


I used to love this movie when I was a young teenager, I watched it many many times but didn't ever revisit it for years until now.  My friend came to me asking if I had this movie because her dance school are going to be doing a performance of the cell block tango, I was so excited for her and found the movie out right away so she could watch it for the first time and figure out who's who and which part she would want to audition for. This also gave me a great excuse to revisit this film after many years.

I enjoy musicals from time to time and Chicago is in my top 5 favourites, both the songs and the plot are great. The basic story is based around women who have been put in jail for killing men, all have their own reasons and story's behind it but the main character Roxy heart (Renee zellweger) who after shooting a man that she was having an affair with gets sentenced to jail with the possibility of execution. Roxy spends the majority of her time in a fantasy world where she is a star performing to many on stage and this is where the musical area comes into the film, all the situations she is put in you can see what is really going on and the musical version coming from her mind. This works especially well during the court room scene with Richard Gere.

Whilst in jail she meets the famous singer/dancer Velma kelly (Catherine zeta jones). At first Velma kelly is someone Roxy dreams of performing with until competition gets high when they both have the same lawyer (Richard Gere) and are fighting for the spotlight in the papers.

All three lead roles do a fantastic job acting,singing and dancing that it just gets you right in the mood of the movie and its exciting to see all three actors doing something a little different than what we normally might see them in. Overall the movie is good in every way and I think its safe to say even if you think you have never heard any music from Chicago you will have and will know some songs already on your first viewing of the movie.

4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment