Tuesday 10 September 2013

The Shining (1980)

 

Believe it or not last night was the first time I watched this 80's horror classic and i can totally understand why everybody loves this one. I like to go into movies pretty blind not knowing much about them and just enjoy the surprise, I was so glad I didn't know anything about this movie it just made the first time viewing experience so great. 

With that been said I don't want to give a lot about the movie away so to outline the basics of the plot we have a family, father mother and son who agree to look after and caretaker a hotel up in the mountains during the winter. With it just being the three of them in the hotel all winter alone they are warned its a difficult job and very isolating and they need to be prepared, Jack who is writing a novel feels that this isolating, peace and quiet will work out great for his time writing. 

I was on the edge of my seat for nearly the entire movie, there are so many moments during the film the suspense is built so high and I wish more movies today were able to do this. There's something about older classic movies that you can tell everything was taken into great consideration all the shots used helped create the atmosphere, I loved all the shots where the young boy would ride his trike through the halls and of course who can't mention the music with this film. The use of sound and music in this was amazing it gave of such creepy vibes and just had the suspense building higher. I was seriously hanging of the edge of my seat in the scenes where you could just hear a loud heartbeat in the background. 

Jack Nicholson's performance towards the end was amazing and I couldn't stop thinking wow he'd be great as the joker, which of course later after this film he goes on the play the joker in the 1989 batman movie, one which i haven't seen but now would be very interested in watching. 

Overall an amazing movie the only fault I have with it was that the leading female role I didn't like to much, she was okay just annoyed me slightly on occasions. If you haven't seen this movie I couldn't recommend it enough, that first time watch will be great.

5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment