Sunday 8 September 2013

Cinderella Man (2005)

                                                 

Boxing movie's have never been something that I was highly interested in as I have never been a fan of boxing and don't quite understand the fascination and enjoyment people get out of watching it, However with the leading stars being Russell Crowe and Renee Zellweger I didn't want to pass it up. The only regret I have is not watching this movie sooner.

The movie kicks off during the boom of the 20's in which Jimmy is living the dream, Heavyweight champion, three lovely children and a beautiful wife. I didn't know until watching that it was set during the 20's so I was quite excited as I do always enjoy movies set in this time period, often making it seem so great and glamorous. 

The movie takes a turn when the great depression hits in the 30's and this is where the story really begins. With Jimmy now older and less able to fight you see the great struggles the family is going through for money, food and to provide for their children. Not being the most educated person of the 30's and the great depression I found it highly interesting to watch, seeing what drastic changes happened in such short spaces of time. The movie is based on a true story of boxer Jim Braddock so if you were to already know the history behind this story you'll know in which direction the film is heading but I'm sure we have all seen this movie before one way or another, the story of the underdog with not much left to loose trying his hardest to win with not much chance or luck behind him. Having said that I still highly enjoyed the movie and wouldn't be able to just pause and resume the next day I wanted to know what was going to happen I wanted to see it through to the end. 

For somebody who has no interest in boxing and doesn't always enjoy the longer movies, this one being 2 hours and 24 minuets I highly enjoyed the movie and would confidently be able to recommend it to anybody. You'll be on the edge of your seat by the end of this movie. 

4 out of 5 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment